Re: lilo replaces GRUB when installing new kernel

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:53:40 +1000
Daniel Stojanov <s3107265@student.rmit.edu.au> wrote:

> 2) about the linux-source package, i had the corresponding source
> package for the old kernel installed, would that matter.

No, but if you don't plan on building any more 2.6.8 kernels you may as well remove it.

> aptitude -t sarge-backports install initramfs-tools
>
> gives the following
>
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.

>   initramfs-tools: Depends: udev (>= 0.086-1) but 0.056-3 is to be installed

I don't know what your system needs are, but if you are a building kernels for just one machine you can avoid this kind of problems (and the ones you had before) if you don't bother with debian kernels, udev, or any kind of ramdisk.

If you don't already know, you can just download a source package from kernel.org, apply the patches from here - http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/ , and build from that using the Sarge build tools. You just need to make sure to remove ramdisk support, and compile in support for your boot disk type, motherboard chipset, and root filesystem, instead of using modules for those.

I (and probably plenty of others) run kernel 2.6.15 using this method, which works perfectly with the version of grub that shipped with Sarge, plus uses hotplug instead of udev. I also tried 2.6.16 but found that my nvidia sound module won't build with it, so I dropped back to 2.6.15. But there is no obvious reason why this method won't work for you with even the latest kernel version.

HTH