Dealing with new python policy

Hi,

I'm maintaining the backport of python-pysqlite2. I just tried to
backport the current version from testing and noticed that the package
has been adapted to the new python policy. This has some great impacts
on the package, ie. build dependencies not available in Sarge and
different packages being built from the source package. These packages
conflict with the previous binary packages from this source package.

What's the way to go now? Revert the change to the new python policy and
practically build the old Debian version, updated to a new upstream
version? Or try to backport all build dependencies? In my opinion, the
latter solution would be better, but I can't really tell if this will
cause trouble for people already using previous backports of this
package or for upgrades to Etch.

Any comments are appreciated. The build dependecies for this package are:

debhelper (>= 5.0.37.2), libsqlite3-dev (>= 3.0.8), python-all-dev (>=
2.3.5-11), python-central (>= 0.4.17)

Regards, Wolf

--
growing up: For some, this development is unacceptable - but it is also
not negotiable. (from 'March of the penguins')