Problems with wpa_gui or kwifimanager

Hi,

I have wpagui and kwifimanager installed from backports.org.  My wlan
setup may well be screwed, since I know next to nothing about wlan stup.
But the problems I encounter are more general, and point to bugs in the
packages.

On the one hand, kwifimanager warns me when I start it:

,----
| Warning: Driver for device ath0 has been compiled with version 19
| of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 17.
| Some things may be broken...
`----

And when I choose "Scan Networks", it crashes with this output:

,----
| KCrash: Application 'kwifimanager' crashing...
| Unable to start Dr. Konqi
`----

Running it with strace reveals that it segfaults;  I can send the trace
if anybody is interested.

wpa_gui does not work, either.  After starting, it says

Failed to open control connection to wpa_supplicant.
PING failed - trying to reconnect

and continues to ping.  In the help menu, the entries for Contents and
Index are gray and cannot be chosen.  This seems to be a bug, too...

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)