Re: Cannot install from sarge-backports

Either my question is so obvious that nobody sees the need to answer, in which case, could somebody please point out the obvious, because it's still not working for me. Google, #debian and bugtrack did not provide answers to my research.

Or, my question is so hard that nobody knows the answer, and I don't think I'm that smart.

backports@itmaze.com.au wrote:

Hi all, been hunting to find out how to install a package from backports
with testing and unstable sources also in my sources.list.

The following command:

   sudo apt-get -t sarge-backports install openoffice.org

Gives me this error:

     openoffice.org: Depends: openoffice.org-base (> 2.0.1) but it is
   not going to be installed
   E: Broken packages

My sources.list says:

   deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ sarge-backports main
   deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
   deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
   deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
   deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian testing main contrib non-free
   deb http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian-security testing/updates main
   contrib non-free

My apt-preferences says:

   Package: *
   Pin: release a=testing
   Pin-Priority: -1

   Package: *
   Pin: release a=unstable
   Pin-Priority: -1

   Package: *
   Pin: release a=sarge-backports
   Pin-Priority: -1

The output for:

   sudo apt-get -o Debug::pkgPolicy=true -s install -t sarge-backports
   openoffice.org | grep backports

Is this:

   Prio of

/var/lib/apt/lists/www.backports.org_debian_dists_sarge-backports_main_binary-i386_Packages
   990
   Prio of

/var/lib/apt/lists/www.backports.org_debian_dists_sarge-backports_main_binary-i386_Packages
   990

(The rest of the output are priority 500 for stable, 100 for installed
and -1 for the rest.)

My understanding is that I should be able to specify the source with the
"-t {sourcename}" and that any package that gets installed will also
install any dependencies from that same source.

What am I missing?