Re: backports from acidbase and cfengine2

* Steffen Joeris <Steffen.Joeris@skolelinux.de> [11-04-06 23:59]:

> But please allow me one remark. We are getting a lot of backports.
> I would also help to integrate them into backports.org (I am not yet a DD so i
> am not an active *sponsor*, sorry), but sometimes I think *why* do people
> want to have them at backports.org.
> Please don't get me wrong, all of you are doing a great job, but having
> packages at bpo just to backports something isn't useful.
> So can you please add some reasons about why to include this backports into
> backports.org archive? For instance the -v option of dpkg-buildpackage is
> very useful and should be a standard for backporters, to reflect the changes.
> So for example although I really like cfengine2 and I am using it for the
> development of Debian-Edu/Skolelinux why do we need a backport for sarge?
> There might be some reasons which I don't know, so please inform me don't take
> it as a criticism, but keep it as good standard to add some reasons for a
> backport and please don't backport just because you want to have a
> backport :)

Hello Steffen,

I've made backports primarily for my own use. The package 'acidbase' is
unavailable in stable.

I use cfengine2 to configure some machines. The stable version is
released
at Apr/07/2005. In the meantime there are some changes:

        http://svn.iu.hio.no/viewcvs/trunk/ChangeLog?rev=176&view=markup

I've backported this package because I'm interested in the new functions
'BeginGroupIf*' to edit files.

--
Tom