Re: Strange Behavior with teTeX Packages

palme@uni-wuppertal.de (Hubert Palme) wrote:

> The "versions state" of tetex-doc is:
>
> # apt-show-versions -a -p tetex-doc
> tetex-doc       2.0.2c-8sarge1  install ok installed
> tetex-doc       2.0.2c-8        stable
> No proposed-updates version
> tetex-doc       3.0-14bpo1      sarge-backports
> tetex-doc/sarge-backports upgradeable from 2.0.2c-8sarge1 to 3.0-14bpo1
>
> I don't really want to upgrade the teTeX packages to the backport
> version. So what could be wrong? Is it my fault or ... All the other
> packages on the backports server don't want to be upgraded!!

You must have installed tetex-doc (and probably -base and -extra) from
stable/proposed-updates.  But this upload has been rejected, and
therefore the version is no longer available anywhere (at least I think
so, if it's still in proposed-updates, you probably have removed that
from your sources.list).

Consequently apt thinks that you have previously installed
tetex-{base,extra,doc} via "apt-get -t sarge-backports install ..." and
wants to upgrade them.

To solve this, downgrade your tetex-packages to 2.0.2c-8 (the
differences are minor and only interesting if you don't have write
access to /usr/local, e.g. because it is  mounted via nfs from a server
on which you cannot write.

If you in fact *do* use LaTeX or any other TeX system for documents that
you write yourself, I strongly suggest that you use the backports -
2.0.2 is three years old and really outdated, both in terms of (La)TeX
packages and of the pdfTeX version.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster