Re: Backports is better than Ubuntu because it fixes the right problem

Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
> By the way... backports for Ubuntu exists, and I'd say those are a bit
> more official than the packages from backports.org.

They are completely official and work differently: Developers cannot
upload to that archive, they are merely recompilations of packages in
the development branch in a stable's branch chroot. Not even changes to
build dependencies are allowed.

This happens to work better than in debian, because of the shorter
release cycles. OTOH, if a package is affected by a transition makes
backporting the packages (near) impossible.

Greetings,
	Reinhard