Re: Shortcut to enabling groups of packages?

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:58:57 +0100
Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net> wrote:

DB> Christoph Berg wrote:
DB> > Doesn't "apt-get install -t sarge-backports kde" work for the meta
DB> > package and its children?
DB>
DB> Yes, but then you install *all* kde packages. That is not the same
DB> as upgrading those, you had already installed.
DB>
DB> > apt_preferences(5) doesn't explicitly say, but I guess
DB> > Package: xfce*
DB>
DB> didn't worked for me with kde* (with regular apt from sarge).

I guess ultimately the problem is really a limitation of apt rather than
with the backports, in that pinning overrides dependencies rather than
the other way round. By that I mean that if there is xfce4 4.2.3 at
priority 999 and 4.0.6 at 900 while xfwm4 has 4.2.3 at 200 and 4.0.6 at
900 and xfce4 depends on xfwm4 of the same version then trying to
upgrade xfce4 fails because apt won't install the right xfwm4 as the
older version has the higher priority.

The woody BP system of adding directories to the sources.list without
pinning wasn't too bad -- but I guess it was hard to maintain as IIRC
links had to be made by hand.

Best regards,
	James

P.S. In the end I just brute-forced it and added the 30 or so xfce4
packages to preferences.

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |