Re: Daniel's kde-3.5 packages

Ben Vinger wrote:
> I'm keen to try it, but before I do, I'd like to know
> how other Sarge KDE packages  will be affected.  For
> example, what happens to kaffeine, k3b, etc when KDE
> moves from 3.3.2 to 3.5?

Basically, there are two types of 'KDE' programs:

  * the official KDE programs: they need a particular version of
kdelibs/kdebase etc. They will and must be upgraded, old ones would no
longer run. Since the KDE backport comprises all official KDE packages,
this is not a problem.

  * programs, which are not part of KDE but are depending on a KDE
version, like k3b etc. They run fine with upgraded KDE and don't need to
be updated.

> Secondly, if I stick to pinning my system to Sarge in
> /etc/apt/preferences, what is the command to actually
> install 3.5?
> apt-get -t sarge-backports install <what??>

I did pin kdelibs to the 3.5 version, the rest was updated then.