etckeeper_0.43~bpo50+1_amd64.changes is NEW
(new) etckeeper_0.43~bpo50+1.dsc optional admin
(new) etckeeper_0.43~bpo50+1.tar.gz optional admin
(new) etckeeper_0.43~bpo50+1_all.deb optional admin
store /etc in git, mercurial, bzr or darcs
The etckeeper program is a tool to let /etc be stored in a git, mercurial,
bzr or darcs repository. It hooks into APT to automatically commit changes
made to /etc during package upgrades. It tracks file metadata that version
control systems do not normally support, but that is important for /etc, such
as the permissions of /etc/shadow. It's quite modular and configurable, while
also being simple to use if you understand the basics of working with version
Changes: etckeeper (0.43~bpo50+1) lenny-backports; urgency=low
* Backported with no changes.
etckeeper (0.43) unstable; urgency=low
* Fix cleanup of /var/cache/etckeeper/packagelist.pre-install after
an upgrade where no conffiles are changed.
* Prevent cron job autocommit from happening if pre-install file
is present, to avoid committing state in the middle of an apt run.
* Add /etc/webmin/webmin/oscache to ignore list. Closes: #567255
* Check owner of tty to determine who has su'd to root when committing,
based on a patch by Jakov Sosic.
* Add apparmor.d/cache/ to default ignores.
* Record real committer username in the darcs log, so that the man page
can say that for every VCS the username is recorded.
etckeeper (0.42) unstable; urgency=low
* Deal with removal of the cache directory. Closes: #559418
* Add ucf backups to ignore list. (See #462355)
* Add webmin fsdump status files to ignore list. Closes: #567000
* Add *.old to ignore list (See #462355)
* Add *.elc to ignore list (See #491401)
* Add ntp.conf.dhcp and X11/xdm/authdir/authfiles/* to ignore list.
* Fix handling of "#*#" ignores for git and hg.
* Add runit and daemontools supervise files to ignore list.
etckeeper (0.41) unstable; urgency=low
* Change etckeeper uninit to not remove .gitignore (etc) file
if it lacks the "managed by etckeeper" comment. Closes: #545137
* Fix hgrc setup code to not warn if the hgrc already contains
a call to etckeeper. (Thanks, Jakov Sosic)
* Updated Czech debconf translation from Miroslav Kure. Closes: #546411
etckeeper (0.40) unstable; urgency=low
* Add Spanish debconf translation. Closes: #539589
* Updated Italian debconf translation. Closes: #540516
* Avoid infinite loop when displaying message about failure
to commit changes in /etc. Closes: #540596
etckeeper (0.39) unstable; urgency=low
* Document ETCKEEPER_CONF_DIR in man page.
* Typo. Closes: #536799
* bzr: Set author to root when committing via sudo. Committer
will be the sudo user, as it is in git.
etckeeper (0.38) unstable; urgency=low
* Use hostname if hostname -f fails. Closes: #533295
* Automatically commit on initial install, so users can
begin relying on etckeeper right away. Closes: #533290
etckeeper (0.37) unstable; urgency=low
* Make postinst check for the configured VCS before trying to run
etckeeper init. Closes: #530497
* Update French debconf translation. Closes: #530795
* Fix typo in cruft file. Closes: #530819
* Update Portuguese debconf translation. Closes: #528109
* Update German debconf translation. Closes: #532346
etckeeper (0.36) unstable; urgency=low
* Add cruft ignore file. Closes: #522513
* Update Japanese debconf translation. Closes: #527921
* Update Swedish debconf translation. Closes: #528575
* Update Russian debconf translation. Closes: #528798
etckeeper (0.35) unstable; urgency=low
* Make etckeeper uninit -f disable the prompt.
* Uninit on purge, guarded by a debconf prompt. Closes: #527218
etckeeper (0.34) unstable; urgency=low
* Add support for mktemp if tempfile is not available.
* Fix uninit prompt to accept 'y' as well as 'yes'. Closes: #517911
* README: Typo. Closes: #517914
etckeeper (0.33) unstable; urgency=low
* Add support for yum. Thanks, Jimmy Tang.
etckeeper (0.32) unstable; urgency=low
* Add uninit subcommand, which cleans up all etckeeper and VCS droppings
in /etc. This is useful if you want to switch to a different VCS and
don't have any history to preserve. (Preserving history and converting
is of course possible, but significantly harder.)
* Run etckeeper init on initial install. Closes: #505772
(The idea being that if someone doesn't want to use git, they can
immediatly uninit to easily reverse this.)
* Document how to change the VCS used by etckeeper, without preserving
any history. Preserving history left as an exersise for the reader.
* Implement list-installed for rpm.
* Added a spec file contributed by Jimmy Tang.
etckeeper (0.31) unstable; urgency=low
* Avoid relying on USER being set, won't be for cron job.
* Add .sw? to ignores. vim uses that if editing an
unspecified file name. Closes: #515628
etckeeper (0.30) unstable; urgency=low
* Add vim .*.sw? files to default ignores.
* Also add emacs #*# autosave files to default ignores.
* And DEADJOE files, for good measure.
* etckeeper update-ignore will automatically update the VCS ignore
file, only touching the part inside a "# managed by etckeeper"
comment block. (You may want to add such a comment block to your existing
.gitignore, or delete the file and regenerate it.)
* Run etckeeper update-ignore on upgrade.
* Fix handling of -d in recursive calls to etckeeper
etckeeper (0.29) unstable; urgency=low
* Add a daily cron job to autocommit changes to /etc. Closes: #515100
The cron job is enabled by default but can be disabled
(Thanks to Thierry Carrez)
* Fix executable bits on two darcs support scripts.
etckeeper (0.28) unstable; urgency=low
* Support darcs. Thanks to Gian Piero Carrubba. Closes: #510032
etckeeper (0.27) unstable; urgency=low
* Use SUDO_USER as the committer if set. Closes: #498739
* bzr: Avoid use of etckeeper pre-commit on Trees not on the
filesystem. (Jelmer Vernooij)
etckeeper (0.26) unstable; urgency=low
* Add Japanese debconf translation. Closes: #512869
* Prevent git from removing a directory when the last file in it
has been removed, but the directory is left existing and empty,
by touching a flag file before calling git rm. Closes: 513006
etckeeper (0.25) unstable; urgency=low
* Fix filter_unknown calls. Closes: 509888
etckeeper (0.24) unstable; urgency=low
* Make .etckeeper test that files actually exist
before acting on them. Closes: #509888
etckeeper (0.23) unstable; urgency=low
* Fix hook scripts to use new etckeeper path. Closes: #509742
etckeeper (0.22) unstable; urgency=low
* Move etckeeper to sbin, and man page to section 8, since only an admin
can really use etckeeper. Closes: #509152
* Mention README file from man page.
* Build using python-central. For some reason bzr does not pick up on
plugins built using python-support.
Override entries for your package:
Announcing to email@example.com
Your package contains new components which requires manual editing of
the override file. It is ok otherwise, so please be patient. New
packages are usually added to the override file about once a week.
You may have gotten the distribution wrong. You'll get warnings above
if files already exist in other distributions.