Re: [RFS] idlastro

Hi Ole,

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 16:06, Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Nilesh,

Nilesh Patra <npatra974@gmail.com> writes:
> I've attempted making the build of idlastro reproducible, and the
> salsa CI goes green (which was not the case earlier) now, indicating
> so.
>
> I also did a bit of QA work with removing lintian warnings and a few
> other nitpicks. All my changes are pushed to the salsa repository[1]
> Please consider to upload, or grant DM access so I could do so.

Thank you very much for your work! I am very happy to see you improving
our packages!

For idlastro, I have a few remarks: As before, I would grant you upload
right if you are agreeing to add yourself to the uploaders; I would not
do it for one-time uploads. Generally, you can just add yourself to the
uploaders of my packages when you feel that you want to continue
contribuing for that package (and therefore would ask for DM upload
rights).

Added myself to uploaders, and pushed :-)
Please consider granting permissions after another review.

Then, for the patches, I would prefer to have them in git style, so that
they can be round-tripped with git-buildpackage without change.

I use quilt extensively for patches, is there an easy way to make them git-style?

For the Reproducible-build.patch, I am wondering why adding \date{}
actually should make the document reproducible?

Basically the "\maketitle" basically introduces and injects date into the PDF file, since date will vary with every day in the year, building on two different dates would not output the same binary.
The way to get over this is using SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH which adds a sort of "reproducible" date. More details can be found here[1]

However, for latex I believe this can't be used easily
So I simply added "\date{}" to strip the date for the resulting PDF, since it makes no real meaning to keep adding the "date when the package was built" everytime.
I also did similar fixes for mummer[2] and jmodeltest[3], worked well there. (Just for information)

[1]: https://reproducible-builds.org/docs/source-date-epoch/
[2]: https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/mummer/-/commit/98d92f43c79ec84027e6de73ebb532f94e0c6f13
[3]: https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/jmodeltest/-/commit/8f5236950d7ab867434951f6183c2f5d04a25f59

And could you forward the Remove-national-encoding.patch to upstream?
https://github.com/wlandsman/IDLAstro

Done:
https://github.com/wlandsman/IDLAstro/pull/31

I also mentioned this in the "Forwarded" field in the patch, pushed to salsa.

BTW, did you already apply for becoming a DD?

I did, and it's nearly complete. My GPG keys are yet to be added to the DD keyring by the maintainers, which might take some time.

Nilesh