Re: install astro packagess debian.

Dear Jaume,

IRAF can be installed on Debian in the same way as on Ubuntu, with
"sudo apt install iraf".

The package on Debian is quite similar to the one on Ubuntu (in fact, Ubuntu takes them from Debian).

If you have problems with the package, don't hesitate them to diskuss them here, or (if you think you found a bug) as a bug report.

I would however strongly recommend to not start with IRAF at all: it is a hopelessly outdated software, abandoned by its authors (NOAO), without any support, and a quickly disappearing user and knowledge base. It is clearly a dead end. Some packages (like STSDAS) are already not available anymore, and there is no hope to get them back.

Instead, I would recommend to check out astropy with its set of affiliated packages. Many of them are available as Debian (and Ubuntu) packages or via PyPI. These packages are usually actively developed, so you can expect to get bugs fixed and missing features implemented.

Find out more here: https://astropy.org

Best regards

Ole