Re: which package has the debian-astro banner ?

Hi Sirish,

On 14.02.19 17:44, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> Please do not raise your expectations too much. The article this time
> would be around Debian Pure blends [1] and debian-astro would be part
> of it, so at the most I may be able to dedicate maybe a paragraph or
> two at the most about debian-astro.  I may do a longer article on
> debian-astro blend if there is interest and time permits of course.

I am happy about any PR as I am not very good with this myself ;-)

> I do however have few observations and questions about certain
> packages, metapackages which are in debian-astro. Maybe you or some of
> the team-members may share/shed some light onto the questions and
> observations.
>
> One of the first things I observed seems to be that debian-astro seems
> to have been more of a recent vintage than perhaps some of the other
> blends [2] with stretch [3] being the first release. Because it
> doesn't mention old-stable i.e. jessie I am guessing that is correct ?

Yes, we started with the mailing list only in 2014, and had the first
release in Stretch. There are a few astro packages already in Jessie,
but that was still under the common "Debian Science" umbrella.

> The other thing I observed is that debian-astro-team has almost 25 odd
> people in the team [4] which seems to be a pretty healthy number.

It is mixed. I still do most of the work (~ 2/3 of the packages), but
there are now a few other active people. However, the large number
mainly comes because I always try to invite people to package, and they
subscribe, but finally don't start working. But I still have hope...

> I was looking at astro-telescopecontrol [5]  where many packages talk
> about different webcams. I was wondering if there is a wiki page which
> lists out the various webcams and how cheap or expensive these webcams
> are ? It could be something which could be pointed out to people if
> such a resource exists.

If you want to create such a page, that would be great -- that field
needs some more love for sure. I personally concentrate more on the
"professional" side and try to catch the scientifically important software.

Best regards

Ole