Re: backport python-astropy for jessie?

Hi Leo,

(switching to debian-astro to reach a broader auditorium)

On 25.01.2017 17:28, Leo P. Singer wrote:
>> "Ole Streicher" <olebole@debian.org> writes:
>

>>> "Leo P. Singer" <leo.singer@ligo.org> writes:
>>>
>>> Has anyone tried backporting python-astropy for jessie? Does
>>> anyone know what the major issues would be? The Debian-based
>>> machines in the LIGO computing clusters run jessie, and we are
>>> starting to use astropy more and more in our pipelines, and it
>>> would be nice to have an up-to-date version easily available.
>>
>> I guess the major problem is wcslib, which is 4.24 in Jessie.
>> Although astropy upstream claims to work with this version, some it
>> fails to build (#844525).
>>
>> Backporting wcslib-5.X depends on giza (a pgplot replacement) as
>> build dependency in order to include libpgsbox into Debian main; so
>> giza needs to be backported as well. That should be not a problem;
>> so if you want to take the effort, please go ahead.
>>
>> Generally, we still don't have a good backport strategy; it would
>> be nice to keep our packages up-to-date in the stable release(s).
>> It may be worth to look into Neurodebian's efforts here (they also
>> include Ubuntu) to keep the efforts well-structured and
>> maintainable.
>
> Hi Ole,
>
> wcslib has a surprisingly long chain of dependencies, but I think
> that it would be really easy to backport python-astropy_1.2.1. I only
> had to disable python-astropy-doc because jessie's pybuild apparently
> does not support sphinxdoc. I haven't actually been able to try a
> cleanroom build yet because I don't have a good system for injecting
> my rebuild of python-astropy-helpers into pbuilder. Do you have any
> suggestions for how to do that in a way that plays nicely with gbp
> buildpackage?

What I usually do is to add a local repository to the builder. See

https://wiki.debian.org/PbuilderTricks

I do however the updates manually and disable the repository when I
don't need it. That way I don't need the hook, HOOKDIR, and EXTRAPACKAGES.

Cheers

Ole