Re: Tycho-2, star catalogs in Debian, and the stardata-common policy

El vie, 25-09-2015 a las 11:18 +0200, Ole Streicher escribió:
> Hi all,

Hello all,

> I am currently creating index file packages for the upcoming
> "astrometry.net" package from the Tycho-2 catalog [1][2]. The Tycho-2
> catalog is now DFSG-free (under BSD-2-Clause).
>
> The catalog is a comparably huge catalog: Containing 2.5 million
> stars,
> its uncomressed size is ~500 MB, with xz compression it is still 120
> MB.

It looks good. The problem is the volume.

> I am now looking what is the most effective way to package this
> catalog.
> The simplest (and currently implemented) way would be to just have
> the
> catalog as source, and package the index files from there. If other
> programs need the catalog as input, I could just add the procedures
> create them in debian/rules.
>
> There is also the "stardata-common" package that defines some
> standard
> way to handle the data. However, stardata-common seems to be quite
> old
> and not be used very widely (only for the "gliese" and "yale"
> catalogs,
> right?). There were some discussions about a Hipparcos catalog [3],
> but
> it seemed not to have packaged.

Yes, I built stardata-common in 2004.
The idea was, according to proposed policy (written with Javier
Fernández-Sanguino, Kevin MacCarty and me), build a common
framework to manage stardata catalogs and stardata viewers software.

Now it is very difficult for me to maintain this (I have few free
time). The software is stable, and it is used just with gliese, yale,
starplot and spacechart [1][2].

[1] http://blends.debian.org/science/tasks/astronomy#new-debs
[2] http://snapshot.debian.org/package/spacechart/

> Also, I have the feeling that stardata-common is not really
> applicable
> for me, since it is a huge download, while some people need only
> smaller
> index files (20 MB or so). Creating it on the fly also takes some
> time.

I think, it could be applicable. The problem is the the huge volume.
And, what software can load it. (Sorry, I had not reviewed it)

> So, I am wondering, what the status of the stardata-common package
> (and
> policy) is. Is is considered (almost) dead now (popconn=325,
> however)?

The proposed policy is still valid, if there is software to apply it.
Unfortunatelly there are very few packages.

> Is there an interest to keep an unchanged version of Tycho-2 in a
> binary
> package? What about the Hipparcos catalog?

I remember that Hipparcos had a problem with huge volume, too.

> P.S. Kevin, Francisco and Noel: I added you to the list since you
> were
> involved in the stardata-common policy, or may have some interest in
> Tycho-2 package. You could also consider becoming a member of the
> Debian-Astro team

I'll try to follow the list activity.
But I have not much free time. :(

I hope I have been helpful.