Re: Stellarium 0.12.4 legacy

Howdy all!

> What is the status of the 0.12.4 development? Will they fix bugs in this
> release or just ask to update to the 0.13 line? Since it was an upstream
> developer who came out of this idea, he can probably do some statement
> how they handle the 0.12 line themself.

0.12.4 is End-Of-Line, but I've just asked them if they are going to support
0.12.4 in the future. Note that stellarium has low number of bugs and it
shouldn't be a big problem.

Yes, version 0.12.4 is last in series, but if Debian users wants I can backport some features from series 0.13.0 (which not related to core and rendering - because these series has different renderer core).

> I am not really familiar with opengl; can you make an example what is
> not supported (under Debian Linux)?

As far as I understand, it's about hardware support. Older GPUs are unable to run
stellarium 0.13.0, because they don't implement necessary features.

In general mass it related to hardware, but software issues may be also. I hope fresh drivers will be backport to Jessie.

> Why is qt5 vs. qt4 an issue?

Qt is not an issue as far as I can tell (and probably it shouldn't be mentioned :) ).
It seems that Qt5 requires only OpenGL 1.3
(http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-on-Windows-ANGLE-and-OpenGL), but if Alexander could
confirm this for me...

Yes, support OpenGL 1.x is problematic in Qt5. Plus many software in repos require qt4 still.

> If even upstream sees the need to support older opengl versions: maybe
> they could do so in their current development? Maybe as a configuration
> option? Then, there would be only one code base, and the -legacy package
> would not be decoupled from the main development branch.

Alexander should comment on this, but I'll put forward my point of view.
As mentioned, 0.12.4 is EOL, they are not going to develop it anymore.
s-legacy would be there only to provide stellarium for older machines
that will be unable to run newer versions. It would never ever advance
its version.

Well, Stellarium 0.12.4 has support 3 rendering backends - OpenGL1, OpenGL2 and OpenGL ES 2. Two first backends using in desktop edition (in Debian repo) + last backend using in mobile edition (Stellarium Mobile - for Symbian, Android, MeeGo). It was big pain in ass to supporting all backends on different platforms.

Series 0.13 has rewritten and simplificated core - same code work on desktops, tablets and smartphones. We had to abandon support for OpenGL1.

--
With best regards, Alexander