Re: Enable V3D on Raspberry Pi 4!

On Thu, 2023-01-19 at 20:00 +0100, Diederik de Haas wrote:

> That is userland and AFAIK you need to set special settings to make that work
> and IIRC also in combination with Wayland. Which those are, I do not know.

To get Firefox to use Wayland, set this environment variable:

MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1

> But making browsers fully utilise GPU rendering is something the user needs to
> do on their own devices with their own software.

Users shouldn't have to tweak software to use their own hardware,
software vendors should make software automatically do that, when the
software detects that it is safe to do so. Browser vendors are fairly
conservative when it comes to determining that safety level though and
don't necessarily think about less common situations like V3D.

These articles might be helpful for determining if it is safe to use
V3D under browsers. Once you have determined the result, you will be
able to send feedback to the browser vendors about what happened, so
they can automatically enable it or fix any bugs you find.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1385776/how-should-i-enable-hardware-graphics-acceleration-in-chromium-web-browser-runni
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=320844
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1054323
https://lemariva.com/blog/2020/08/raspberry-pi-4-video-acceleration-decode-chromium