Re: Gigabyte MP30AR0 - UEFI MMC

On 22/10/2023 21:33, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
W dniu 22.10.2023 o 17:56, Michael Howard pisze:

My situation with the MP30AR0 is that when booting from u-boot I only get one 10Gbe nic but the sdcard (mmc) is available. If I chainload the Tianocore uefi from u-boot (I've never flashed uefi directly on this board) I get both 10Gbe nics but the sdcard/mmc is no longer available.

MP30AR0 is APM X-Gene 1 board (like APM Mustang was), right?

Yep, that's correct.

I'm trying to make it so all four sata ports can be used for data and boot the os from sdcard. I can boot from nfs/usb but would like to get the sdcard working.

On APM Mustang SD slot was basically backup storage for firmware. When UEFI was used (I never used U-Boot on it) it could have it in on-board flash or on SD card (depends on jumper setup). Never used SD card under Linux. USB ports should work just fine (unless you run kernel older than 3.19).

The SD slot can be used for recovery but also for the OS, as set out in the rather scant documentation. Jumpers on 'APM_STRAP1' are configured to enable boot from SD card. I'd love to know what the other combinations of the 8 jumpers can achieve but there is no other mention of 'APM_STRAP1' in their documentation.

I have had no success with_any_ pcie cards so can't currently go down that route.

Neither under UEFI not U-Boot? Weird.

Yeah, weird. Never having replaced u-boot with the tianocore uefi image (only chain loaded it) I decided to bite the bullet and flash tianocore to see if it made a difference but alas, it didn't. Still no SD card.

I decided, with heart in mouth, to take it a step further and flash the firmware and bios for the AR1 to my board. Result was I didn't brick it and whilst the boot is slower (about 3 .5 minutes to get to GRUB) it got me the desired result. I now have both 10Gb nics _and_ the SD card.

So, with that success in mind, it may be that PCIE works. I'll dig out all the cards that failed in the past and give them a go.

It maybe old kit but it's still got some kick with 64GB ram, 8 cores, 2 x 10Gb fibre nics and very good stability.

Cheers,

--
Michael Howard.