Re: buildd reliability

On 30/03/2023 19:59, Wookey wrote:
OK. I'll see what can be done. I see Altra servers are from
$7000-$53000 on https://store.avantek.co.uk/arm-servers.html.

What does DSA consider 'decent'? I guess we'd prefer the resilience of
a couple of reasonable machines over one ridiculously manly one. A bit
of configury on the Aventek site suggests that basic ARM Altra servers
cost about twice as much as AMD ones for similar specs
(cores/RAM/disk), but then the power consumption is less than half. I
don't know how the performance actually compares for buildd purposes
(nor what sort of spec we prefer in terms of
nodes/cores/RAM/Disk/networkIF), but people describe the Altra's as
'fast'. I'll try and collect some more details to quantify that.

I'm not DSA, but the problem i've found when looking at such hardware
has always been that the "cost of entry" is so high. To me $7K is a
lot of money to put down "on spec".

It may well be worth approaching them to see if they would sponsor
some hardware, or at least provide a steep discount from list prices.
Debian is after-all one of the top Linux distros (and probablly the
top "community" distro).

Also can anyone confirm if these machines support arm32? or if they
are arm64 only?