Re: Building (Debian) kernel optimized for RPi Zero (W) and 1

On Tuesday, 25 October 2022 12:01:01 CEST Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > I have a Zero W running Debian's armel kernel and I find that device to be
> > annoyingly slow.
> > I also have a RPi 1 running raspbian.org's 4.9 kernel, which is a special
> > kernel build by plugwash and compiled like the rest of raspbian.org
> > packages, which I do not find (annoyingly) slow.
>
> The difference between the two kernels is almost certainly unrelated
> to the toolchain they are built with,

That surprises me as I thought that raspbian.org's effort (and reason for
existing at all) was entirely based on that.

> and entirely based on the kernel patches that are added on top of mainline
> as well as the configuration.
>
> If there is a huge difference, my first guess would be the CPU frequency
> scaling driver: if the CPU runs a different operating point, that
> would have a much larger impact than anything the kernel itself
> can do.

In https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/merge_requests/381 I did
enable the needed components for that. I will try whether the performance
governor makes a notable difference.
RPi 1 only has 1 frequency, but RPi 0 has 2.

> Another obvious difference may be the GPU support

They are both used headlessly, so that should be irrelevant.
The RPi 0W is attached to my smart energy meter and the RPi 1 I essentially
only use(d) for development purposes.

> If you have a fast Raspbian kernel and a slow Debian kernel for
> the same source version, can you take a look at the /boot/config-*
> files, and the list of loaded kernel modules, to see if there
> are any obvious differences?

Can `=m` vs `=y` have a (relevant) impact?
I will ofc compare them, but I have already looked (a while ago) at the config
for obvious missing components and only found 1 which is now fixed:
https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/merge_requests/486

Cheers,
  Diederik