Re: On ARM64 Bit. A Qualcomm Chip.

Hello Dan,

Dan Zulla dijo [Sat, Oct 01, 2022 at 11:35:23AM +0200]:
>    Dear Debian Friends,
>
>    I have reached out to a member of the @debian.org community who was
>    displayed on the website as a skilled engineer for the Installer, yet he
>    advised me to go on the mailing list,  So I am.
>
>    I acquired a rather cheap laptop, a Samsung Galaxy Go with LTE, and that
>    was about 300$. It is a nice piece of hardware, and anyone should be able
>    to work on ARM64 with that price point and that comfort. I am well aware
>    performance of the chip is mediocre, and compiling Debian is going to take
>    a while.

FWIW, my main laptop for the last year has been a Lenovo Yoga C630,
which is also an ARM64 system. Let me tell you that I'm more than
happy with it, although I am more than aware it will never be a
fast compiling beast. And mine has an earlier CPU than yours! You will
find it to be quite snappy for non-intensive use.

I hope, though, you got the 5G version, as 8GB RAM is quite a
difference over 4GB RAM.

> (...)
>    Are you available to be motivated .. to potentially advise? The Bootloader
>    works. As soon as you try to run the installer, textual or graphical,
>    crash. Not a commented crash. Just a total nuke of the CPU and reboot. Or
>    just uncommented fail to switch into graphical model. (We should work on
>    that, if that is the case.)

I cannot provide much help in this regard, but I can point you to a
group of people who most probably will. There is a group for
supporting ARM64 laptops under different Linux distributions at:

    https://github.com/aarch64-laptops/

Particularly, they have a slightly modified Debian installer available
at:

    https://github.com/aarch64-laptops/debian-cdimage

It is, yes, mostly geared at the Lenovo offerings. But it's a step in
the right position!

You can also join via IRC, at #aarch64-laptops in OFTC
(irc.debian.org).

>    Do you have any insight or experience, or idea, about why Grub works?
>    Ubuntu image boot displays something about being unable to establish
>    graphics output mode, low-level wise. I am a high level programmer getting
>    started low-level. I don’t know what that means. The display driver?

Well, I'd venture that Grub works because it is not Linux! It is a
completely independent, much easier system, and works by using UEFI as
its operating-system-of-sorts (which is provided by the
firmware). Linux wants to control hardware much more closely than
Grub.