On ARM64 Bit. A Qualcomm Chip.

Dear Debian Friends,

I acquired a rather cheap laptop, a Samsung Galaxy Go with LTE, and that was about 300$. It is a nice piece of hardware, and anyone should be able to work on ARM64 with that price point and that comfort. I am well aware performance of the chip is mediocre, and compiling Debian is going to take a while. Nonetheless, desktop users, and developers, should have a different experience than I had. Windows 11 is somewhat useless for development (There is a Visual Studio Preview, there is LLVM-mingw with aarch64 even) but Linux Subsystem for Windows doesn’t work, and I didn’t manage to quite compile a hello world from ARM64 assembly thus far. I am using Rufus to make a bootable USB, and was planning to hack myself forward to testing the CPU in real mode. (Don’t know if it is called Real mode in ARM). The architecture of the Chip is called Kyro 468. It is called semi-custom ARM CPU by Qualcomm, and knowing Snapdragon from phones, this may be a hard one.

Are you available to be motivated .. to potentially advise? The Bootloader works. As soon as you try to run the installer, textual or graphical, crash. Not a commented crash. Just a total nuke of the CPU and reboot. Or just uncommented fail to switch into graphical model. (We should work on that, if that is the case.)

But the installer menu, from a users perspective – Grub – works, and that is a lot for me.

How did you compile it? Do you have a suggestion for a build system, and can you point me to the minimal installer source code and how you achieved this? Do I have to use the LLVM toolchain on a AMD64 server, or mingw, to compile Debian Installer / Linux kernel accordingly, or do I need to rent/buy a Ampere ARM64 server, ... –

Do you have any insight or experience, or idea, about why Grub works? Ubuntu image boot displays something about being unable to establish graphics output mode, low-level wise. I am a high level programmer getting started low-level. I don’t know what that means. The display driver?

Best,

Dan