Re: uboot@qnap - debian

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 10:14:19AM -0500, Philippe Clérié wrote:
> My apologies for the confusion. *Pi OS* here was meant as a shortcut for the
> *official* distribution of Debian for the Raspberry Pi. Which I am using by
> the way.

The pi is just one of the systems you can run Debian on.  armel being the
only one an armv6 could run since armhf quite sensibly picked armv7 since
there was a lot of those around and very few armv6 systems.  The fact
broadcom decided to put an armv6 into a video chip and someone then
decided to turn that into a system (even though the armv6 was probably
not a great choice for that use case) could not have been predicted.
Adding another arm architecture on top of armel and armhf just because
of the pi would not have made sense and of course the Pi 2 and newer
are all capable of using armhf, so it was only the first Pi that had a
problem (and I must admit I was never interested in the first pi since
to me that was just way too under powered to be useful, while I do have
both a 2 and a 3).

I actually consider it lucky the pi wasn't out when armhf's requirements
were done or we might have ended up with armv6 as the baseline due to
a single system, cripling all the other armv7 boards.

--
Len Sorensen