Re: Replacement for raspPi

On Wed, Sep 08, 2021 at 09:32:52PM +1000, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2021 15:35:35 +0000

> > > You'll have seen the pointer to 100+ SBCs. The problem with many of
> > > them is that they are cut down to a price point rather than being
> > > built to a quality standard. "Raspberry Pi-alike" GPIO pins don't
> > > transfer to automagically b
>
> Good to know. I haven't ventured into GPIO in the 5 years I've been
> working with the pi.  I use it mainly for back up drives, and
> occasional browsing while I'm in an on-line meet
> > >
> > > I'd single out Odroid as being very highly priced by comparison but
> > > also very well built: the problem is that the boards take a while to
> > > be fully supported on non-vendor kernel and in vanilla Debian - and by
> > > that stage, the board may be out of production.
> > >

> I'd prefer to stick to debian based.   I keep reading the debian how to
> set up network, but clearly I'm missing something somewhere as I
> haven't gotten it working yet.   Boots ok. I can't use a wire to
> connect to the modem - it's too far awa
> > > Pine's RockPi with 4G of memory seems to work quite well and be
> > > relatively well supported.

DRAT - I mistyped - the Rock64 and the RockPro64? - the Rock64 has 4G of
memory and a good selection of I/O, 1G Ethernet and the potential for eMMC
storage. The RockPro has even more.

The other thing that's missing from the Raspberry Pi range is a good RTC
- a real time clock is not just a nice to have.