Re: Replacement for raspPi

On Tue, 7 Sep 2021 15:35:35 +0000
"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 08:32:14PM +1000, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
G'day
I've been following the recent thread  Subject: Re: Debian on Pine64
H64B?

I'm looking for suggestions for a new SBC, please. Ideally something
more than 2M RAM. I see that a few a happy with Pine laptops. Does
this translate to their SBC?

Thanks

You'll have seen the pointer to 100+ SBCs. The problem with many of
them is that they are cut down to a price point rather than being
built to a quality standard. "Raspberry Pi-alike" GPIO pins don't
transfer to automagically b

Good to know. I haven't ventured into GPIO in the 5 years I've been
working with the pi.  I use it mainly for back up drives, and
occasional browsing while I'm in an on-line meet

I'd single out Odroid as being very highly priced by comparison but
also very well built: the problem is that the boards take a while to
be fully supported on non-vendor kernel and in vanilla Debian - and by
that stage, the board may be out of production.

I'd prefer to stick to debian based.   I keep reading the debian how to
set up network, but clearly I'm missing something somewhere as I
haven't gotten it working yet.   Boots ok. I can't use a wire to
connect to the modem - it's too far awa
Pine's RockPi with 4G of memory seems to work quite well and be
relatively well supported.

Thank you. As it happens I was looking at this the other night.

Factor in cases, eMMC and so on as well, if you want them. A lot of
the boards do not hve a custom made case and some of them will be
non-standard shapes/sizes.

It's amazing. The boards look reasonably priced, but when you add on the necessary bits, they often get to the price of a low end laptop. I have wondered a few times why I don't move that way.

All the very best, as ever,

Very kind of you

Andy Cater

All the best