Re: Linux mainline / pure Debian on Acer Chromebook R13 [was: Re: Feedback from the community -> ARM]

On Fri, 2021-06-18 at 15:59, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 11 iun 21, 19:24:45, Milan P. Stanić wrote:
> > On Fri, 2021-06-11 at 10:03, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > >
> > > [1] writing this on an Acer Chromebook R13 running an ancient kernel
> > > from archlinuxarm.org that would benefit from mainline support.
> >
> > Also I'm writing this on 'Acer Chromebook R13' but with mainline kernel
> > 5.12.10 with three patches I added.
>
> Are those patches published somewhere (and what are they for)?

Yes, here:
https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/tree/testing/linux-elm

one is to fix mmc devices order to not be random.
one to 'cut' down external mmc frequency.
and one to fix spi nor frequency.

> > It is really good machine though it
> > is four years old. Only suspend-to-ram doesn't work with kernels 5.11
> > and 5.12 but it worked with previous kernels, 5.8 and 5.9 iirc.
> >
> > Again shameless plug: I wrote small note and script to install alpine
> > linux on R13, here
> > https://arvanta.net/alpine/install-alpine-on-acer-r13-chromebook/
>
> As far as I can tell that script must be run from within an already
> existing Alpine Linux install.

Yes, but if using apk-tools-static pkg (alpine package manager) it can
be run from any linux distribution.

> Am I guessing correctly that the package > linux-elm contains the
> kernel image? I'd rather try and extract the
> kernel + modules only as I have no intention to move away from Debian.

Right, you can download linux-elm pkg from:
https://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/edge/testing/aarch64/linux-elm-5.12.10-r0.apk
and untar it. You will have modules and vmlinux.kpart image in /boot dir
which you can flash (dd) to chromebook kernel partition.

note: I didn't intended to tell that you or anyone should move from
debian, just wanted to help by pointing to that what I did to get R13
work with mainline kernels.

> A list of options that must be enabled in the kernel for the R13, as
> well instructions for building the image to be flashed to the kernel
> partition would also be very helpful.

In /boot you can find kernel config file which you can use as a base for
your own kernels.

> With these we might be able to get full support for the R13 in the
> Debian kernel and flash-kernel.

You can look at
https://git.alpinelinux.org/aports/tree/testing/linux-elm/APKBUILD which
is alpine build recipe and is written in posix shell (ash) and look how
it is built.

Some of this ideas are 'stolen' from Arch Linux alarm

--
Kind regards