Re: Feedback from the community -> ARM

On Jo, 10 iun 21, 16:43:44, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:

>  - relevant SoC/SBC vendors:
>    - Allwinner
>    - Broadcom / RaspberryPi Foundation
>    - Marvell
>    - NXP
>    - Odroid
>    - Rockchip
>    - some more for sure (which?)

There are some interesting Chromebooks (existing and announced), maybe
some SBCs as well, based on Mediatek SoCs[1].

Apple's M1 and future designs are also extremely interesting, e.g. a
Macbook Air fully supported by a mainline kernel would be *very*
interesting, despite the price[1].

>  - Graphics
>    Similar problematic, vendor blobs vs. OSS

Personal pain point: the PowerVR GX6250 in the Mediatek MT8173. But
since this is a meeting with ARM, having fully mainlined support for all
their GPUs would already be a great start (unsure what the current
status is).

Mainlined support for the various on-chip hardware decoders would also
be great (i.e. ffmpeg and friends in addition to Linux).

> Is there anything on your mind that is missing above and that you'd like to
> be shared with ARM? Feel free to reply here or discuss in #debian-arm. (I'm
> ukleinek there.)

[1] writing this on an Acer Chromebook R13 running an ancient kernel
from archlinuxarm.org that would benefit from mainline support.

[2] I'm not aware of a similar fanless laptop

Kind regards,
Andrei