Re: Debian on Pine64 H64B?

On 10.09.21 16:13, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
LinAdmin dijo [Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 09:51:51AM +0200]:
The unnamed decision makers of Debian some unknown time ago
decided that Pi and *Pine* stuff won't be supported by Debian.
Hey, we do have names!

I am one of them. I am willing (and have done so extensively) to put
time into making Debian easy to use in the Raspberry family, but I am
convinced raspi-firmware cannot be part of Debian itself.

That's why I ensured that all of the footers in
https://raspi.debian.net/ mention that «This site is not an official
Debian project. While the maintainer (Gunnar Wolf) is a Debian
Developer, content herein provided should be considered unofficial».

Greetings,

Hi Gunnar

I very much appreciate your work for Debian and do not at all suspect integrity of your work and the software you distribute.

It also is clear that Debian can not distribute closed source firmware.

There are well established solutions in other cases like the Realtek Ethernet chips etc.

What I would like to see is that the official arm kernels automagically built by Debian could run unchanged on RaPi 32 & 64 bit.

All needed to achieve that goal is described at https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=981586

"All it needs to get a kernel booting on Pi4 is changing three switches in menuconfig:

CONFIG_PCIE_BRCMSTB=y

CONFIG_RESET_RASPERBERRY=y

RESET_BRCMSTB_RESCAL=y

The resulting kernel is a few KB bigger but does still boot on the other relevant hardware I own: Banana Pi & exynos board."

In that bug report you also can find the requested names of the kind people that made Debian on Rapi what it isn't today :-((

LinAdmin