Debian is supported on many arm platforms

On 2021-09-10, LinAdmin wrote:
> The unnamed decision makers of Debian some unknown time ago
> decided that Pi and *Pine* stuff won't be supported by Debian.

This is the second time you've stated this, without really adding
meaningful content to the conversation, and people have presented
evidence to the contrary...

If you don't want to help, that's fine, but please at least refrain from
making repetative, vague statements of questionable accuracy.

Debian Developers and many other contributors to Debian are in fact
supporting these and many other platforms on Debian... They have done so
by submitting patches, bug reports, fixes, etc. It would be difficult to
create a comprehensive list of all of them. Check the changelogs for the
linux kernel, u-boot, debian-installer, raspi-firmware... there are lots
of people making decisions to support these platforms in those and even
other packages.

Specifically...

There are at least five pine64.org platforms listed at:

  https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/arm64/daily/netboot/SD-card-images/

I believe the same set of images is supported in the Debian bullseye
release. At some point they worked (I personally tested each of them
before adding support), if they don't currently work, please file bug
reports and ideally patches if you can.

While the Raspberry Pi can't fully be supported in Debian "main" due to
the Debian Social Contract and the lack of compatible licenses:

  https://www.debian.org/social_contract

There is support for the non-free firmware in "non-free" since 2019:

  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/raspi-firmware

More recently, you can get a UEFI implementation for pi3 and pi4:

  https://github.com/pftf

With a UEFI implementation, you can boot the standard debian-installer
.iso images for arm64 platforms:

  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/arm64/iso-cd/
  or
  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/arm64/iso-dvd/

And there are "unofficial" images made to be written directly to boot
media produced by Debian Developers available at:

  https://raspi.debian.net

Somewhat of an aside, I feel inclined at this point to bring up the
Debian Community Guidelines:

  https://people.debian.org/~enrico/dcg/

I find it has some valuable thoughts that help improve my contributions
to Debian.

live well,
  vagrant