Re: OT: Huge Right to Repair Win for Consumers

On Thursday 10 June 2021 00:53:57 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> On 6/10/21 2:08 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> >> The report and its recommendations may provide a means
> >> to pierce the veil of closed platforms, like closed-sourced
> >> firmware.
> >
> > It seems unlikely to me that we will ever see a "Right to Repair"
> > for software, firmware or gateware.
>
> So, why should laws protect the intellectual property of software
> companies but not the IP of hardware companies?
>
> What supporters euphemistically call a "right to repair" is in reality
> an initiative against the right of companies to protect their
> intellectual property.
>
> Why should any company take the risk of investment for new hardware
> developments when they have to fear that every other company in the
> world will get free access to their blue prints?
>
> The claim that hardware companies intentionally make it hard to repair
> consumer products is a conspiracy theory. In reality, a consumer
> product is primarily optimized for production costs which implies
> cheap capacitors or cases that are glued together.
>
> Lots of consumers seem to forget that a product sold into the market
> not only must cover the material costs but also the costs of
> engineering, marketing, customer support, customs, compliance tests
> and so on. And in the end, you still want there to be a small profit
> left which is what makes the whole business model viable in the first
> place.
>
> If law initiatives also now want to take away the exclusive rights of
> hardware designers over their blueprints and hence the market
> advantage over competitors that they took an investment risk for,
> companies will lose the incentive to design and develop new products.
>
> Companies aren't charities so in the end they must protect their
> investments and have to make profits to survive.
>
> Adrian

In short, if you are in fact a debian developer as you imply in your sig,
something I rather doubt given the thrust of this message, and I was on
the controlliing end of debian, the first thing I would do is remove
your account. Debian is being poisoned from within if people of your
beliefs are allowed to contribute a single byte of code.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis