Re: Kernel Images 5.9.x becoming to large for QNAP TS219

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 5:47 PM Alexander Reichle-Schmehl
<alexander@alphamar.org> wrote:
> * Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <alexander@alphamar.org> [201129 14:38]:
> >> flash-kernel: installing version 5.9.0-0.bpo.2-marvell
> >> Not enough space for kernel in MTD 'Kernel' (need 2327672 but is
> >> actually 2097152).
> > COMPRESS=xz  see:
> > https://cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/troubleshooting/#ramdisk-space
>
> Been there, tried that, got no shirt: That only changes the compression
> for the initrd, while I'm already stuck with to large kernel image.
>
> But indeed, the initrd is now quite smaller, than before, but problem
> seems to be the kernel image itselve:
>
> alex@rusalka:~$ ls -l /boot/vmlinuz-5.9.0-0.bpo.2-marvell
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2327672 Nov 19 21:40 /boot/vmlinuz-5.9.0-0.bpo.2-marvell
>

> > But maybe better to use the kernel from stable?
>
> Would be my plan b, but not the prefered solution as I need would like
> to continue a newer usb device on that system.
>
> Anyway, should I open a bug for the release notes, to document that
> next stable won't support certain devices anymore out of the box?

This already came up last week, see
https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2020/11/msg00037.html

Another thing you could try is to see if the u-boot that is installed
on the system is able to load a kernel from disk rather than from
flash, which is what Luca Olivetti mentioned the Lacie network
space 2 machine does, in that case you just need to update
the u-boot configuration for every kernel update. I had also
suggested changing the partition layout for the flash so you can
have a combined kernel+initrd partition that could be up to
14MB in size, but this requires more intrusive changes including
updating the dtb file.

        Arnd