Re: Ampere EMAG

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 12:36 PM Christian Kastner <ckk@debian.org> wrote:

> On 11/15/20 2:43 AM, Wookey wrote:
> > On 2020-11-15 01:03 +0100, Christian Kastner wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to run my own arm64 buildd, but basically I only found SBCs so
> >> far, with the NVMe-capable ones having max 4GB RAM, and the Rpi 4 8GB
> >> RAM but no NVMe. I'd like to have at *least* 16GB, and ideally 32GB or more.
> >
> > It's a very nice buildd for things that are parallelisable, with 32 cores.

The SolidRun HoneyComb LX2K is now advertised as supporting
m.2 and PCIe, plus up to 64GB of RAM on a 16-core SoC, which is a
nice ratio between memory and CPU.

> I recently rebuilt about ~1000 packages and overall parallelization was
> less than I hoped for (but not really surprising: after all, the package
> build sequence is serial, and the build+test stage, where
> parallelization would shine, often quite short).

I suppose for large-scale rebuilds it ends up being ideal to have
each CPU build one package in a container and not rely on
on spreading out one package across multiple CPUs, but this
needs even more RAM if you want to do the builds in virtual
machines instead of containers.

       Arnd