Re: Debian installer auf Pinebook (Was: X11 modul for pinebook?)

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 10:15:33AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> > I admit I do not mind about the graphical installer - I always use the
> > test based installer.
>
> The "text based installer" may only work over serial console... slightly
> more information below.

How do I install a serial console (any link to docs)?

> > My question is rather:  Can I simply `dd` the Debian arm64 install disk
> > to a miniSD card, boot from this and install on the internal emmc of my
> > pinebook.  This was *not* possible when I bought this device and I would
> > love if somebody would confirm here before I mess up what is now
> > "somehow working".
>
> The debian-installer concatenateable images from buster *should* work
> with *serial console*:
>
>   https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/README.concatenateable_images

So I need to

   wget https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/firmware.pinebook.img.gz
   wget https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/partition.img.gz
   zcat firmware.pinebook.img.gz partition.img.gz > complete_image.img

How can I now install this image.  If I understand, this

   dd if=complete_image.img of=/dev/my_mini_sd_card

is no solution, right?

> Getting the installer running on LCD is still a work-in-progress, but
> you *might* be able to get the text console running by editing the boot
> arguments on the boot media and passing console=tty0 and adding the
> appropriate modules to the initrd by appending an additional cpio
> archive to it... finding out exactly which modules... is a
> project. Though you could append all of the modules for the matching
> kernel version.

I admit that sounds *way* more complex for a thing that I consider
rather a "toy" than a work horse.  Please do not understand me wrong:
I'm currently in a long term Debian Med sprint to fight COVID-19.
Fiddling around with an arm64 box that does not contribute at all to
that important task should not comsume more than 30min and I want to
have a clear view on the real chances that the procedure will succeed
and not end up in endless questions here.

> But no, there's no image that will "just work" without some fiddling.

OK, that makes me just "wait" for more progress and I will ask here
6 month later or so.

Is there any chance to safely bump the kernel on my existing system?
What u-boot should I install to approach this?  Or is this idea also
a bit dangerous to break the whole system.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de