Re: Graphical installer on arm64 (netboot and cdrom)

On 20/04/2020 20:01, Steve McIntyre wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 03:43:57PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
Try the image at

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/arm64-gi/

please?

OK, so this lot seems to work in a VM at least (thanks Marcin!), so
I've pushed this set of patches to master now. I'm not sure about
adding the graphical installer for armhf right now, but I'm open to
being convinced...

Once we have a working d-i daily build I'll also push my changes for
debian-cd to use it on arm64.

The installer's kernel is 5.5.0-2, but the ones in the cd image's archive is 5.5.0-1, so the installer refuses to continue after mounting the cdrom saying it can't any find kernel modules to install.

Other than that, boots fine to a graphical installer on the VM (with the console=tty0), and on my chromebook (tty0's already in /proc/consoles, but I don't know how to boot grub there yet so I'm directly using the install.a64/gtk/{kernel,initrd.gz} files).

Since you've already pushed to master, I'll try to do a full installation once daily cdroms are available.

I don't particularly care for armhf, but some things to consider:
- netboot-gtk build exists on armhf and might be enough
- non-graphical builds can still run on framebuffers in text mode
- devices may not be able to utilize a cdrom image due to bootloaders
- armhf chromebooks exist (veyron) where graphics would be prettier
- one might want to install armhf Debian on an arm64 device