Re: The state of Arm64 on Raspberry Pi (and its Documentation

On 2020-03-31 16:24 +0200, Ralph Aichinger wrote:

> In comparison to this Debian's Arm64 wiki page lists tons of
> obsolete Arm64 hardware that is no longer available, but does
> not document the one Arm64 system that is the easiest to buy
> in shops very well, in my opinion.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Arm64Port

It's a wiki - feel free to update it.

> Is there some "official" Debian documentation on how to
> install aarch64 Debian on the Pi 3 or 4 in an "official" (i.e.
> diverging as little as possible from Debian standards) way?

Yes: The Pi1,2,and 3 docs are linked from here:
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn
https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi3 being the first arm64 hardware.

I gather there is a Pi4, so if someone could do that it would be helpful.

No doubt it could all do with some updating as I expect support has improved.

> Does installing Debian on top of UEFI firmware work yet
> in practice

Yes it works pretty well.

> https://github.com/tianocore/edk2-platforms/tree/master/Platform/RaspberryPi/RPi4
>
> or should I start from somewhere else? I do not need graphics,
> a purely headless setup is fine by me.
>
> Is there some way for a somewhat experienced sysadmin to
> help in documenting this stuff, trying out things, filing bugs, etc?

Yep - get an account on the wiki and start editing.

Or file bugs if things are actually broken, but working in say,
Rasbian or ubuntu and we could fix it (i.e. it's not due to non-free
blobs)

Wookey
http://wookware.org/