Re: d-i Alpha 3 seems unusable for qemu-system-aarch64

On 08/12/2020 12:26, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> W dniu 08.12.2020 o 09:06, Ryutaroh Matsumoto pisze:
>> Hi Debian Arm users,
>>
>> I tried Bullseye d-i Alpha3 released on December 6 for
>> building a qemu disk image usable by qemu-system-aarch64.
>> To me, Alpha 3 d-i seems almost unusable for that purpose.
>> I filed a report at
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=976808
>>
>> If you have interest, please have a look.  Ryutaroh
>
> You have started machine in QEMU without any graphics support and got
> surprised by lack of graphics?

(Also bug #976807 where Ryutaroh did try with graphics support)

> But even with "-device virtio-gpu-pci" added Bullseye alpha3 installer
> follows the path of Buster :(
>
> Both standard and graphical installer contain kernel modules for virtio
> framebuffer. And both ignore video output forcing user to use serial
> console. Also while 'standard' installer gives "d-i in screen",
> graphical one gave just d-i on serial console.
>
> /proc/consoles has only ttyAMA0

This only happens on arm64 ACPI systems with SPCR (QEMU VM is one) now.
The arm64 graphical installer should be working fine in this release
with device-tree systems, which do have tty0 in /proc/consoles.

You can still work around it with "console=tty0". Even more, the ACPI
case is fixed on git (by explicitly checking /dev/tty0), but that didn't
make into this alpha release.