Re: Status of Debian on QNAP

* Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> [2020-11-26 17:23]:
> (Maybe I'm missing other problems.  I haven't fully thought about it.)

Of course I missed something. ;-)

If the flash layout is changed in the kernel, you also need to change
the load addresses / size in u-boot.  Our philosophy so far has been
not to change u-boot on these NAS devices (neither the boot loader
itself nor the config), so people can easily go back to the original
firmware.

Since the QNAP devices are no longer supported by the vendor, I think
changing u-boot is okay.  Then users would have a choice: either stay
on buster, or upgrade with the caveat that recovery is harder (the
QNAP recovery mode doesn't restore the u-boot config).

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/