Re: Ampere EMAG

On 2020-11-15 01:03 +0100, Christian Kastner wrote:
> On 11/14/20 4:08 PM, Wookey wrote:
> > Yes. I have a 64Gb machine. (emag).
>
> I wasn't aware that the Ampere stuff was generally available, and now I
> see that through a generous donation, they power our buildds [1].
>
> Do these run an unmodified Debian?

The machine I have has Ubuntu on it and it became remote (and thus
inconvenient to re-image) back in March before I had time to test
plain Debian. It just needed some firmware updates, but then ran
standard Ubuntu.
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Ampere/eMAG

The firmware was not public at that time which was annoyingly unfree,
but hopefully hardware now comes with those updates on it (or they
have been published).

> I'd like to run my own arm64 buildd, but basically I only found SBCs so
> far, with the NVMe-capable ones having max 4GB RAM, and the Rpi 4 8GB
> RAM but no NVMe. I'd like to have at *least* 16GB, and ideally 32GB or more.

It's a very nice buildd for things that are parallelisable, with 32 cores.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/