Installation images for arm64 (was Re: Bullseye installer, daily image broken for cubox-i)

On 2020-10-27, Alan Corey wrote:
> Concatenateable images seem like a good idea but it looks like there
> are none for any hardware I have (Pinebook Pro, Odroid N2, Rock64,
> Raspberry Pi 3B).

For arm64, there's at least support for Pinebook Pro and Rock64 and
numerous other systems:

  https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/arm64/20201027-02:17/netboot/SD-card-images/

I or others have tested that they boot at some point during the
development process, though it has been a while since I tested any.

The Odroid N2 and RaspberryPI systems requires non-free components, so
it can't have out-of-the-box support in debian-installer.

But it shouldn't *too* be hard to add the parts for RaspberryPI:

  zcat firmware.none.img.gz partition.img.gz > complete_image.img
  dd if=complete_image.img of=/dev/SOMEDEVICE
  mount /dev/SOMEDEVICEp1 /mnt
  cp /path/to/rpi/firmware /mnt
  cp /usr/lib/u-boot/rpiVARIANT/u-boot.bin /mnt/

Or configure config.txt or whatever to load the components directly.

For the Odroid N2, you need to create the complete_image.img and then
install the bootloader onto it using odroid's bootloader scripts.

  https://github.com/hardkernel/u-boot/

I've done this for Odroid C2, which is likely a similar process,
although I'm able to use those scripts with the u-boot and
arm-trusted-firmware shipped with debian for the Odroid C2.

It looks like u-boot 2020.10 has an odroid-n2 target and
arm-trusted-firmware 2.3 has an amlogic/g12a target, so it would likely
be possible to enable those in the Debian packages if someone were able
to test them semi-regularly.

> Having a serial console might let you see more of what's going on.
> How to do that varies with the machine.

Indeed, having access to a serial console is pretty crucial to work on
most arm boards. The CuBox-i series make that easy as there is a
microUSB port that exposes a serial interface built-in.

live well,
  vagrant