Re: bt question

Heh-heh, I'm putting off setting up another one.  What I have
installed is just libbluetooth3, lxplug-bluetooth, pi-bluetooth.
First of all there's low power (newer) and older bluetooth, there
aren't many chances of mixing them.  If you scan from some device and
don't see everything it's probably because what you don't see is
incompatible.  Also pairing is at least mostly an exchanging of keys.
And I can pair my bt earbuds to my phone very easily: my phone sees
them, I click on them, they're paired, they've stayed paired a few
weeks now.  Can I pair them to a Pi?  Not yet.  And pairing is
sometimes exclusive, sometimes not.  I have a bt keyboard I can use
with multiple computers.  Sometimes one device will display a number
and you have to enter that in the other.

I like bluetoothctl at least partly because it's text-based.  Do agent
on because that's for connecting.  And dscoverable on.  Then if I do
"scan on" I see a list:
scan on
Discovery started
[CHG] Controller B8:27:EB:1F:69:7C Discovering: yes
[NEW] Device F3:66:48:29:CA:7D IDTW211R
[NEW] Device 74:D6:37:72:AE:37 Ruth's 3rd Fire
[CHG] Device 74:D6:37:72:AE:37 RSSI: -59
[CHG] Device 74:D6:37:72:AE:37 RSSI: -68

And there's an info command showing status:
info F3:66:48:29:CA:7D
Device F3:66:48:29:CA:7D (random)
        Name: IDTW211R
        Alias: IDTW211R
        Paired: no
        Trusted: no
        Blocked: no
        Connected: no
        LegacyPairing: no
        UUID: Vendor specific           (74e7fe00-c6a4-11e2-b7a9-0002a5d5c51b)
        RSSI: -47

There are several stages to connecting and pairing.  The device has to
be not blocked, yes to trusted, paired, connected.  And you have to do
them in the correct order or they don't work, connected is last, I
don't remember the rest.  But keep doing info on the device and
setting one at a time.

bluetoothctl has a man page (tiny) and an internal help option that
lists commands (useful).  Each device has an address and an alias, you
can mostly use either.  Most devices have a discoverable mode they
need be in at least to pair, and quite often you'll need to keep
checking that and turning it back on.

On 9/25/20, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I have a set of bluetooth or wired headphones.
>
> A keyboard I just bought has bluetooth but doesn't pair with the phones.
>
> Whats the chance of pairing with them to an rpi4 running buster and
> listening to the rpi's audio?
>
> Start me from square one as this will be a brand new play for me.  What
> modules do I load, and what command will I need to run to scan and ID
> whats in the rpi4's near field?
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>  - Louis D. Brandeis

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
cluttering up nature.
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach