Re: Debain on a Buffalo TeraStation Live (HS-DHTGL/R5)

On Fri, 2020-03-27 at 14:57 +0100, Gilles Risch wrote:
> On 26/03/2020 18:25, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > > On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 1:15 PM Gilles Risch <
> > > gilles.risch@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > During these days of isolation I reanimated my old TeraStation
> > > Live
> > > (HS-DHTGL/R5), equipped it with some new disks and installed the
> > > latest
> > > official firmware (2.14). This firmware is based on a quiet old
> > > Linux
> > > kernel:
> > >   #uname -a
> > >   Linux TS-LIVE 2.6.16.16-arm1 #9 Fri Aug 31 13:42:57 JST 2007
> > > armv5tejl
> > > unknown
> > >
> > > So I decided to look for something newer. Is it possible to
> > > install and
> > > run a recent version of Debian on this Marvell Orion based NAS?
> >
> > There is still minimal kernel support for this platform in the old
> > board
> > files (not in the .dts format), and the armel kernel enables
> > support, but
> > as far as I can tell, it only has 128MB of RAM, and the official
> > minimum
> > for a Debian installation is now 256MB, so this may be a rough
> > ride.
> >
> > Using OpenWRT instead of Debian would better fit into the RAM, but
> > they have removed support for all Marvell Orion5x based platforms
> > a few months ago, making that also a bit hard, though depending on
> > how motivated you are, you could add back OpenWRT support by
> > creating a dts file for their "Kirkwood" port.
> >
> >        Arnd
> >

> Thanks,
>
> I'll have a look at OpenWRT.

Don't let RAM requirements put you off Debian. I run the latest Debian
on a SheevaPlug (Kirkwood CPU), which whilst it does have 512MB RAM,
'free' reports 458MB availble. So that's 54MB used by the kernel,
openssh daemon, exim4 email daemon, a bash shell, dnsmasq, chrony,
fail2ban, and other odds and ends. Obviously, the more spare RAM for
caches the better.

--
Tixy