Re: Raspberry Pi

On 02/03/2020 19:14, Alan Corey wrote:
That poses an interesting question: can you install Debian debs on a
Raspbian system and vice versa?

In principle Raspbian is just a change of minimum CPU requirements from Debian armhf. So provided your CPU meets the minimum requirements for both, it should be possible to mix raspbian packages with debian armhf packages. This is in-fact how raspbian was initially bootstrapped and I still use it on occasion as a method to rebootstrap stuff. I can't rule out the possibility though that some libraries will change ABIs as a result of the change in minimum CPU requirements, so there is some risk in such mixing.

There is also the possibility of multiarching raspbian with another port of Debian. Unfortunately due to the design of multiarch it is necessary to build some extra packages for the architecture you are multiarching with to make this work, I built such packages for arm64 for buster, see https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=254027