Re: Raspberry Pi

On 2020-03-02, Alan Corey wrote:
> That poses an interesting question: can you install Debian debs on a
> Raspbian system and vice versa?  Never thought about it.  I've maybe
> used Ubuntu ones a couple times.  I suppose each case is unique and
> the worst casualty would be to the apt system and it's record-keeping.
> You don't want foreign repos in your sources.list but just snagging a
> deb from somewhere wouldn't be bad I think as long as the dependencies
> worked out.  But what about the install paths for files, the dirs
> might not exist?

Raspbian armhf is built for armv6, and Debian armhf is built for armv7,
so they're not strictly compatible. You might get away with it on rpi2,
rpi3 or rpi4, since they support armv7. But rpi1 and rpi0 only support
armv6. Mixing and matching incompatible ABIs could cause all sorts of
issues...

*If* the rpi1 had supported armv7, raspbian probably would have never
existed, or just be a small number of tweaked packages on an otherwise
plain debian armhf system.

live well,
  vagrant