Re: loss of synaptic due to wayland

On Monday 08 July 2019 07:12:53 Tixy wrote:

> On Mon, 2019-07-08 at 06:40 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > So, synaptic is gone.  What do or can we use for a replacement?
>
> Wasn't that discussed at length in april...?
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/04/threads.html#00103
>
> Anyway, synaptic isn't gone, it may be not usable on your Raspian
> system if the people that put that image together used wayland rather
> than X (if my memory of that discussion is correct).
>
> Personally, I've always used aptitude for package management with a
> visual UI, being text console based it also works over ssh or other
> remote terminal connections. You'd have to get use to using a keyboard
> rather than a mouse though.

yes it was, and no solution was offered that I read about. And no,
aptitude is not a replacement. I've hit q for quit and had it tear a
working system down to doing a reinstall to recover, 3 times now. It may
be capable, but imnsho its also dangerous. Having it do anything but
quit instantly when you hit the quit key q, hit because you're lost is
unforgivable.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis