Single user mode, view on HDMI output?

Hi all.

I have a Freedombox Pioneer HSK (Olimex A20-Linuxino-LIME2) that I want
to do some maintenance (move some system directory contents off the uSD
to a SATA drive).  When I issue 'telinit 1' the HDMI screen clears and I
am left with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the
display.  I presume that only the serial port is active as a display
output at this point?  If so, is there a way to make the HDMI port the
default active display port?

TIA

- Nate

Web: http://www.n0nb.us  GPG key: D55A8819  GitHub: N0NB