Re: making debs for u-boot kernels

On Monday 29 July 2019 05:08:49 Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 08:15:20PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > If you're unsure if it's installed or not - you have bigger
> > > problems.

> > > Why won't it?
> >
> > It gets to udev, and everything after that seem to take twice as
> > long as the last start, by the time it gets to MTD, whatever that
> > is, the blanker kicks  in and nothing will wake it up. I don't
> > thinks its started ssh yet at that point, but its been 6 or so
> > hours.  Nope. No ssh answering the phone.
>
> Two options.
>
> 1) You want to solve the problem.
> Then it's "show, do not tell".
> Boot the kernel with the "debug" option, send journalctl output here.

Where do I find that journalctl log? Or do I go get the u-sd card by
turning it off right now, bring the card in and  mount it here so I can
troll around in it and get it for you.  That would probably work, just
have to know what I'm looking for.

I really would like to make it work because of the possibilities of using
grub to select kernels on a per boot basis.  That, by giving me the
default kernel to fall back to, if a kernel build fails, would speed the
development of a decent machine controller by huge leap and bounds. So
would having ctl+alt+del serve as a reboot signal like we had a decade
back. Howeever in its current unknown state I wouldn't expect a response
from anything but a hardware reset.

There not being a handy reset button on the pi makes me use the power
switch, and that is never a good way to shut things down. Or maybe its
hidden by the fact that due to needing a 1" cable to the interface card,
the pi is mounted upside down and the fan blowing on the heat sinks is
under it very nearly out of sight.  So maybe rigging a button to the
reset circuit would serve as a rebooter while preventing those partial
writes during the power supply fade, its a bigger 5 amp supply that also
runs the interfaceing cards and it takes the monitor around 7 seconds to
display "no signal" when its powered down by the power switch.

> 2) You just want to share this wonderful story with the list.
> No action needed.

Its not wonderfull, it didn't work, and I think we owe the list a
resolution, at this point, the only thing removed from the default
install is avahi-daemon. I have noticed that udev seems to have renamed
eth0 to enp+at least 0 more chars, but it works. The installer, not
finding a dhcp of anykind, apparently did not install anything but the
avahi-deamon, but in my findings in other attempts to install buster,
I've had much better luck with route setting if anything that can
generate a 169.xx.yy.zz address is best purged. having them installed
poisons the routing and there is apparently no way but purging anything
that returns an address  in the 169 range. So I gave it its /etc/hosts
based address/gateway, fixed /etc/resolv.conf to specify nameservers
address, search hosts nameserver and it just worked.

I still haven't found my hands, yesterdays working on the lathe greased
them up pretty good, with 75 yo grease.  And it takes hot water, boraxo
soap, and a good stiff brush to find skin under that stuff.  And I've
abut an hours morning chores, making coffee, feeding the missus and
emptying her pot before I will get back to this.

> Reco

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis