Re: making debs for u-boot kernels

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 12:02:18PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 26 July 2019 17:35:01 Reco wrote:
>
> > 	Hi.
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:49:32PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > I am furious (fat lot of good that does me) with the lack of tools,
> > > and information on how to use them to build an installable
> > > kernel.deb for a rpi-3b.  I know it can be done, I have witnessed
> > > apt do it several times, on at least two of the arm platforms, once
> > > on an arm64 running stretch and several times on armhf for releases
> > > from jessie to buster.
> >
> > Raspberry Pi does not use u-boot. Raspbian does not use u-boot. Their
> > proprietary bootloader can be forced to run u-boot, but its not worth
> > it - by using u-boot you're limiting yourself to armhf, and Raspberry
> > Pi3 is an aarch64 board.
> >
> > > I want to take a linux-rt tar.xz direct from kernel.org, and its
> > > patches to  bring it up to realtime, build it and install it all on
> > > the pi-3b, to which I have added a 120GB SSD for workspace, and a
> > > 10GB swap so it can now build linuxcnc.
> >
> > Consider installing a proper Debian first the way it's outlined at
> > [1]. Booting a custom kernel will be as easy as adding an another
> > entry to grub.cfg.
> >
> > Reco
> >
> > [1]
> > https://pete.akeo.ie/2019/07/installing-debian-arm64-on-raspberry-pi.html
>
> Now its stuck, claiming the partitioing has not been done and it cannot
> install grub to a hard disk.
> Going back to to the partitioning menu I see:
> #1 primary  314.6MB B K ESP
> #6 logical  1 GB f swap swap
> #5 logical  58 GB f ext4 /
>
> This was letting the installer do the default partitioning.

[1] specifically mentions the desired partition layout.
Force the installer to do this:

#1  primary  314.6 MB  B  K  ESP
#2  primary    1.0 GB     f  swap    swap
#3  primary   14.7 GB     f  ext4    /

> So I launched a shell, but there is not a /boot partition showing for an
> ls.

ESP is /boot/efi. /boot is a part of / that's yet to be created.

On a side note, I took a spare RPi3 and followed [1] myself.

First, I'd like to express huge thanks to all DDs and DMs that made
possible to boot and run a proper OS on RPi3. I can provide an
installation-report in case someone's interested.

Second, some wishlist bugreports are in order. It's not an installation
that took the most of the effort, it's the camera that's attached to the
said RPi3.

Reco