Re: loss of synaptic due to wayland

On Monday 08 July 2019 09:00:52 Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Lu, 08 iul 19, 07:42:46, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > yes it was, and no solution was offered that I read about. And no,
> > aptitude is not a replacement. I've hit q for quit and had it tear a
> > working system down to doing a reinstall to recover, 3 times now.
>
> I used to be a heavy aptitude user in the past, on unstable (i.e.
> almost daily package upgrades). It does have it quirks. It also shows
> very clearly what it is about to do before you press the final 'g'.
>
> > It may be capable, but imnsho its also dangerous. Having it do
> > anything but quit instantly when you hit the quit key q, hit because
> > you're lost is unforgivable.
>
> Thanks, but no thanks. Having it exit immediately in the middle of a
> complex upgrade just because I hit 'q' by mistake is not nice and
> might leave your system in a very bad state.

in all 3 cases, i had not marked anything, and it was sitting there
showing me a list of stuff I had no clue where I was as the highlighted
line would not return to the top of the screen with the usual up arrow
key, so I hit the q to quit. it preceded to remove hundreds of packages,
leaving me with perhaps 5 megabytes of data on the disk. That was
probably a decade ago while running an earlier ubuntu, but I haven't
trusted it since. All I could was dig thru the tool drawer and pull out
the install cd. By then I had been running amanda every night, so I was
able to recover the important stuff. I still am, but I'd not added the
amanda stuff to do a backup to this install until an hour or so ago.

> Once an action has been started it might be possible to interrupt it
> with Ctrl+C. Please do so at your own risk.

Obviously.

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Take care Andrei