Re: loss of synaptic due to wayland

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 2:01 PM Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Lu, 08 iul 19, 07:42:46, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >
> > yes it was, and no solution was offered that I read about. And no,
> > aptitude is not a replacement. I've hit q for quit and had it tear a
> > working system down to doing a reinstall to recover, 3 times now.
>
> I used to be a heavy aptitude user in the past, on unstable (i.e. almost
> daily package upgrades). It does have it quirks. It also shows very
> clearly what it is about to do before you press the final 'g'.

 indeed, as does apt-get (which i much prefer).  ultimately, if you
are... how can i put this diplomatically... a GUI gives you the "nice
warm feeling" on presenting you with a nice warm cozy dialog box, "Are
You Sure You Wanna Do This".

 apt and aptitude it is assumed that you are... well... hum.... no
other way to say it really..... it is assumed that you are... um...
capable of reading?

 sorry if that sounds like it's terribly insulting, there's really not
a way to say it without implying so, because if you don't actually
read the warning - no matter that it's in words that are not
bold-faced and surrounded by a big dialog box - you basically get to
learn *why* the warning is there.

> > It may be capable, but imnsho its also dangerous. Having it do
> > anything but quit instantly when you hit the quit key q, hit because
> > you're lost is unforgivable.
>
> Thanks, but no thanks. Having it exit immediately in the middle of a
> complex upgrade just because I hit 'q' by mistake is not nice and might
> leave your system in a very bad state.
>
> Once an action has been started it might be possible to interrupt it
> with Ctrl+C. Please do so at your own risk.

 synaptics i presume actively prevents and prohibits such termination.

 recovery of a system that's been terminated in the middle of an
install can actually damage the dpkg database.  apt and aptitude exec
dpkg to install individual packages, and, as anyone knows who has
tried to manually install a .dpkg, you interrupt that process, as
andrei says, at your own risk.

 of course, it is perfectly possible to f*** up with synaptics as
well: "killall -9 synaptics" whilst it's in the middle of an install
will achieve the exact same level of system-f****g-up-ness.

 if you really _really_ get into such a mess, the first action to take
is "apt-get -f install".  this uuuusually recovers things back to a
known stable state, and you can re-run apt-get {whatever}

 sometimes i've had to do a dpkg -i --force-all {insert package that
failed.deb}, particularly on systems where there's been file conflicts
(very old packages still installed, where new ones have the same
file).

 ultimately, though, there is absolutely *NO* excuse for quotes
reinstalling quotes.  any debian system is ENTIRELY RECOVERABLE
without resorting to the stupidity of the windows mindset "if it's
broke duhhh reinstall".  in really *really* broken conditions (a
kernel upgrade interrupted, a grub replacement gone wrong), you can
run recovery live USB boot media, and repair the damage by chrooting
in to the root filesystem.

in one hilarious incident involving "cpio" i managed to write ARM
files onto an x86 filesystem (in /lib, /usr/lib, /bin and /sbin) *and
still recovered the system* by live-booting a recovery USB stick,
manually downloading the relevant dpkgs, unpacking them and
hand-copying the accidentally-replaced files.

bottom line: if you're relying heavily on synaptics, be worried and
concerned that you're turning into a windows user :)

l.