Re: heatsink -- was [Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is announced]

I have an aluminum case, not using it lately.  I mostly use a USB wifi adapter.  If you clone a Pi SD card it ends up on the same IP address as the original.  I couldn't get it through anybody's head at raspberry pi.org that this is a problem.  USB wifi is at least different, haven't tried 2 of them.  Possibly it only happens with Raspbian, not Debian.

Sent from my Motorola XT1527

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019, 1:14 PM Larry Dighera <Larry@kj6yvt.com> wrote:

>From the information provided in this video
https://youtu.be/26OxCwEHoTk there appears to be about a 15 dB
reduction is WiFi signal strength with the FLIRC aluminum case
installed.

If WiFi signal strength is an issue, how difficult would it be to
install an external antenna (or two)?

This review provides information comparing the RPi 3b+ to the 4B:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raspberry-pi-4-b,6193.html
It provides heat maps (attached) and CPU thermal throttling
information:

"While running a CPU-intensive workload for 10 minutes, the processor
hit 81 degrees and began throttling down from 1.5 to 1 GHz after 3
minutes. However, the system kept bringing itself back to the full 1.5
GHzas when it dipped down to around 80 degrees, but then it would get
warm again and go down to 1 GHz. If you want to have better sustained
performance under load, consider getting an active cooler for the
Raspberry Pi 4 or, at the very least, attach a passive heat sink."

Here's an alternative plastic case:
https://www.pishop.us/product/highpi-raspberry-pi-case-for-pi4/

HIGHPI CASE FEATURE LIST
High quality ABS plastic case, designed and made in Canada
Industry-leading ease of use, rapid tool-free assembly and disassembly
Large internal volume for HATs, break-out boards, or heat sinks
Vents on three sides double as fly-through cable ports
Two-section breakout on A/V side for HAT board I/O
Large vent opposite A/V side allows GPIO ribbon cable pass-through
Micro SD card access port
Mounting option 1: two M3.5/M3/#6 screws slide into wall mounts
for easy removal, horizontal orientation with A/V side down, 40mm
spacing
Mounting option 2: four M3.5/M3/#6 screws through feet from inside for
secure mounting in any orientation, 68.3 x 38.8mm spacing
Self-adhesive rubber feet included, set of 4
Matte finish hides fingerprints
DIMENSIONS
External dimensions: 97 x 66 x 41mm
Internal volume for breakout boards: 90 x 60 x 28.8mm